In a dramatic U-turn social activist Anna Hazare has said he won’t be proceeding with the indefinite fast against the new farm laws and claimed that the Central government has agreed to some of his demands.
Union Minister of State for Agriculture Kailash Choudhary and Bharatiya Janata Party leader and former Maharashtra chief minister Devendra Fadanvis met Hazare during the day.
A high-level committee, with some members nominated by Hazare, will consider his demands and submit a report in six months, said Choudhary.
In a statement earlier in the day, Hazare, 84, had announced that he will be starting the hunger strike from his village Ralegan Siddhi in Maharashtra .
In that communication, Hazare had said he had written to the prime minister and Union agriculture minister five times on the plight of farmers but to no avail.
“The Union government has agreed to some of my demands and also announced setting up a committee to improve the lives of farmers. I have decided to suspend my proposed indefinite fast starting from Saturday,” Hazare said on Friday.
While announcing the hunger strike, he had said, “I have been demanding reforms in the agriculture sector, but the Centre doesn’t seem to be taking the right decisions.”
“The Centre has no sensitivity left for farmers, which is why I am starting my indefinite fast at my village from January 30,” he had added.