The Jama Masjid administration’s decision restricting entry of “girls” into the famed mosque led to an outrage Thursday and the order was finally withdrawn following Delhi LG V K Saxena’s request to the Shahi Imam.
The notice, which had no date, came up a few days ago outside the three main entry gates of the 17th century Mughal-era mosque that attracts thousands of devout as well as tourists, sources in the administration said. However, it had come to attention only now.
“Jama Masjid mein ladki ya ladkiyon ka akele daakhla mana hai (The entry of a girl, or girls is not permitted in Jama Masjid),” read the notice. Earlier in the day, Shahi Imam Syed Ahmed Bukhari said the decision was taken after some “incidents” were reported on the premises of the heritage structure but it was not applicable to those coming to offer prayers.