Iran had vowed revenge after the killing of Iran’s powerful Revolutionary Guards, General Qasem Soleimani, in a US drone strike, which was ordered by President Donald Trump.
In retaliation Iran has launched over a dozen ballistic missiles targeting at least two bases where US military and coalition forces” are stationed in Iraq, the Pentagon said.
President Trump has been briefed and is monitoring the situation, officials said.
Trump later on tweeted
All is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far! I will be making a statement tomorrow morning.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 8, 2020
“We are working on initial battle damage assessments,” Pentagon spokesperson Jonathan Hoffman said confirming the Iranian missile strikes.
Hoffman said around 5:30 pm on January 7, “Iran launched more than a dozen ballistic missiles against US.military and coalition forces in Iraq”.
“It is clear that these missiles were launched from Iran and targeted at least two Iraqi military bases hosting US military and coalition personnel at Al-Assad and Irbil,” he said.
White House Press Secretary Stephanie Grisham said that president has been briefed about the situation.
“We are aware of the reports of attacks on US facilities in Iraq. The President has been briefed and is monitoring the situation closely and consulting with his national security team,” Grisham said.
#WATCH: Iran launched over a dozen ballistic missiles at 5:30 p.m. (EST) on January 7 and targeted at least two Iraqi military bases hosting US military and coalition personnel at Al-Assad and Irbil, in Iraq. pic.twitter.com/xQkf9lG6AP
— ANI (@ANI) January 8, 2020
Hoffman said in recent days and in response to Iranian threats and actions, the Department of Defense has taken all appropriate measures to safeguard its personnel and partners.
“These bases have been on high alert due to indications that the Iranian regime planned to attack our forces and interests in the region,” he said.
Hoffman said “as we evaluate the situation and our response, we will take all necessary measures to protect and defend US personnel, partners, and allies in the region,” Hoffman said.
Meanwhile , Iran Foreign Minister Javad Zarif tweeted his reaction, as he wrote, We do not seek escalation or war, but will defend ourselves against any aggression.
Iran took & concluded proportionate measures in self-defense under Article 51 of UN Charter targeting base from which cowardly armed attack against our citizens & senior officials were launched.
We do not seek escalation or war, but will defend ourselves against any aggression.
— Javad Zarif (@JZarif) January 8, 2020