After Pakistani shooters were not issued visas for the World Cup in New Delhi, the International Olympic Committee has reportedly decided to “suspend all discussions” with India regarding hosting of global sporting events .
The Olympic committee also revoked the Olympic qualification status for the men’s 25m rapid fire event from the New Delhi World Cup due to denial of visas to the Pakistani shooters in the wake of the last week’s Pulwama terrorist attack in which 40 CRPF personnel were killed.
The IOC said it will not allow India to organise Olympic-related events in the future unless written assurances are obtained from the government.
“As a result, the IOC executive board also decided to suspend all discussions with the Indian NOC and government regarding the potential applications for hosting future sports and Olympic-related events in India, until clear written guarantees are obtained from the Indian government to ensure the entry of all participants in such events in full compliance with the rules of the Olympic charter — and to recommend that the international federations (IFs) neither award nor hold sports events in India until the above-mentioned guarantees are obtained,” the IOC said.
The two Pakistani shooters’ participation in the tournament had become doubtful after the terrorist attack had been reported.
The IOC’s decision comes hours after International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) President Vladimir Lisin announced that all the allotted 16 Olympic quotas for the 2020 Games would be scrapped. However, the apex body limited the withholding of quotas to only two while retaining 14.
“The IOC restricted the withdrawal of recognition as an Olympic qualification event to the 25m rapid fire pistol competition in which the two Pakistani athletes were supposed to participate. This happened in the interest of the other 500 athletes from 61 countries participating in the other events who are already in India for their competition,” the IOC said in a statement after its executive board meeting in Lausanne, Switzerland on February 21.
“Since becoming aware of the issue and in spite of intense last-minute joint efforts by the IOC, the ISSF and the Indian National Olympic Committee (NOC), and discussions with the Indian government authorities, no solution has been found to allow the Pakistani delegation to enter India in time to compete,” the statement said.
The world body also urged the international federations to neither award nor hold sports events in India until the “guarantees are obtained.” The Indian Olympic Association expressed helplessness but did say that the current situation does not look good for the country’s sporting future. “We have tried our best but ultimately it is the government (which has to grant visas). It is a dangerous situation for all sport in the country,” IOA Secretary General Rajeev Mehta told PTI in Delhi.
“In addition to not being able to host events in India, there may be problems for our athletes to take part in international events. We will approach the government again so that the situation does not reach that far.
“It is a violation of Olympic Charter and the country’s image has been lowered. If the Indian government does not give guarantees within 15 to 20 days, another letter may come from IOC,” he added. Besides their aspiration to host the Olympics, India already have the hosting rights of the 2021 men’s world boxing championships